Friday, January 27, 2012

My thoughts on My Week With Marilyn

I finally went and saw My Week With Marilyn tonight and I'm really glad that I did. All my life I have had a fascination with her (like most girls do, I suppose) including a collection of books and pictures, and I was a bit worried that the movie would somehow damage my idea of her. I can't really explain what I mean by that, but there was just something that was keeping me from wanting to see the film at first.

So tonight I had a few friends call me up and ask if I wanted to go see it with them at a cute little art theater. I wanted to see my buddies and have a good night out, so off I went. All in all, I'm really happy that I ended up going to see it. I thought Michelle Williams did an amazing job playing her ... I really wasn't sure that she could pull it off. 

I think I was scared that a movie "about Marilyn" would destroy my own version of what I have conjured her to be in my imagination. This movie didn't do that though, and here is why: this movie was from the eyes of a man that was in love with her and consequently had a week fling with her. The way she is portrayed in this movie is how he saw her, not how she really was. It captivated that "is she really like that" feeling that a person gets when they see or watch her. It didn't solve any questions about her or why she was the way she was; but I felt it still gave the audience a tiny bit more depth to her real person rather than the characters that she played. I don't know if there could ever be a movie about her and her life that could be completely accurate, because her life was such a mystery.

So this was actually supposed to just be a post full of lovely Marilyn photos, but I felt the need to say something about the movie also. 

Have you guys seen the movie? What did you think?

Here's to you, Marilyn.


Here is an article that I really enjoyed reading. It's about Marilyn's filing cabinets that were finally revealed 40 years after her death and they contained some great insights into her life. The book Marilyn Monroe: Fragments was based off of her personal notes and diary entries that were found inside those cabinets, too. A great read for any Marilyn fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment